For more information about this program, please contact Toris Moody at (800) 368-5242 x8069 or email at email@example.com.
HERMAN J. SMITH SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship was created to honor Herman J. Smith and his lifelong commitment to the housing industry and the education of future generations of home builders. This scholarship has a preference for students in the state of Texas.
- The applicant must be registered as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student for the Fall 2019 term and have at least one full academic year of course work remaining after the scholarship is awarded. Note: Students who will be a fifth-year senior during the award year are NOT eligible.
- High school seniors are NOT eligible to apply.
- The applicant must be majoring in construction management, mortgage finance, or a construction related field at an accredited 4-year institution.
- The applicant must demonstrate an interest in obtaining employment in the construction industry, mortgage finance, or a construction related field upon graduation.
- Preference will be given to:
- applicants who are legal residents of Texas or attend an academic institution in Texas.
- students who are current members (or will be a member in the upcoming semester) of a student chapter of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) with both: a) elected officers and b) a demonstrated program of activities. Students whose school does not have a chapter are still welcome to apply.
- Preference may be given to applicants who are juniors or seniors.
- All portions of the application must be completed and submitted. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all portions of the application are received by the deadline. Applications received after the deadline may not be considered.
Financial Information section: This section is an important part of your evaluation. Be sure to answer all questions, as incomplete information may lower your score in this section. If you are not sure how to answer a question, call (800) 368-5242 x8069 for assistance.
NAHB Student Chapter Activities section: If your institution does not have an NAHB student chapter, indicate so in this section. Your application will not be adversely affected.
Transcript(s) and Course Requirements: A transcript from all institutions you have attended is required.
- Transcripts must include a cumulative GPA. If your transcript does not show a cumulative GPA, request that a school official confirm the information on school letterhead with his or her signature.
- If coursework and grades from a previously attended institution are included on your current institution transcript, you do not need to submit a separate transcript from the previous institution.
- If you have completed less than four semesters of college work, you must also submit an official high school transcript. Additionally, a copy of the course requirements of the construction management program you are pursuing is required.
Recommendations: You must submit two recommendations. The Academic Recommendation must be completed by an instructor or advisor who is familiar with your academic work. The Professional Recommendation should be completed by a current or former supervisor or employer. Allow your recommender at least two weeks to complete your recommendation.